Workaholism is characterized by an obsessive and compulsive need to work excessively, often at the expense of other areas of life such as personal relationships, self-care, and leisure activities. It’s important to recognize that work in itself is not inherently negative, but when it becomes the sole focus of your life, it can lead to burnout, stress, and a diminished sense of fulfillment.
In therapy, you can expect:
- Assessment and Understanding: We will explore your beliefs, values, and personal history to identify any contributing factors. This will help us understand the severity of your workaholism and gain a deeper understanding of the underlying causes and triggers.
- Goal Setting: Together, we’ll establish realistic and personalized goals that align with your desired work-life balance. These goals will focus on reducing excessive work hours, improving self-care practices, nurturing relationships, and finding fulfillment outside of work.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Techniques: You will become comfortable with identifying and challenging your negative beliefs and thoughts related to work and replace them with healthier coping strategies. This helps break the cycle of workaholism and creates new patterns of behavior.
- Stress Management: You will learn practical skills to manage stress, set boundaries, prioritize tasks, and delegate responsibilities. These tools will help you regain control over your work habits and promote a healthier work-life balance.
- Self-Care and Relaxation: The importance of self-care activities and relaxation techniques to help you recharge and rejuvenate.
- Building Supportive Relationships: Your communication skills will be improved, your boundaries with colleagues and loved ones will improve, and you will begin to rebuild and nurture relationships that may have been neglected due to excessive work.
- Maintenance and Relapse Prevention: You can always make a “tune-up” appointment if you start to notice old habits coming back. I provide ongoing support to ensure long-term success.
Remember, seeking help is a brave step towards creating positive change in your life. I am dedicated to empowering you to overcome workaholism, find balance, and lead a more fulfilling and meaningful life.